The intent of our History curriculum is to deliver a curriculum, which is accessible to all, that will maximise the outcomes for every child so that they: know more, remember more and understand more.
All children will develop knowledge and understanding about key events and significant people that helped shape our locality and our world. Through a growing awareness of chronology, children will develop a deepening understanding of historical cause and effect. Pupils will focus on the history of the local area and develop their knowledge and understanding of significant aspects of the wider world.
During their studies, children will develop an increasing historical vocabulary, which they will use throughout their work. Children will use their knowledge of historical concepts, (such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance) to make connections between prior and future learning.
By developing questioning skills, children will be encouraged to think about the reliability and validity of sources and to reach their own conclusions. Children will develop an interest in history through the provision of enriching experiences such as visits, workshops and exploring artefacts. They will gain a balanced historical perspective of all aspects of life, from military, social, cultural and religious viewpoints.
Our History curriculum aims to excite children and to allow them to develop their own skills as historians. We plan using the National Curriculum and use subject progression grids to develop long and medium term planning.
- We will encourage use of timelines to enable pupils to develop an understanding of historical events over time and to show where the events stand in relation to other key episodes in history.
- We will use artefacts to encourage children to become history detectives, as they encourage children to ask questions in order to understand the past.
- Visits to place of historical interest and visitors will be used to enhance teaching and to bring history to life, for example through demonstrations and re-enactments.
- We will use ICT to support pupil’s learning and to make the curriculum accessible to everyone.
- Children will study one unit of History each term – to see which units are studied by each year group please follow the link below.
Please click to read the Progression of skills in History document