Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development (SMSC) is at the heart of our school curriculum. Its impact can be seen both within the classroom and outside of it. We recognise that the personal development of pupils spiritually, morally, socially and culturally plays a significant role in their ability to be able to relate fully to the world in which we live and in preparing them for their next steps in life.
Through our school curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities, we aim to provide pupils with the opportunities to explore and develop:
- Their own values and beliefs whilst respecting the values and beliefs of others
- High standards of personal and social behaviour
- A positive, caring attitude towards other people
- An understanding of their social and cultural traditions
- An appreciation of the diversity and richness of other cultures
- An understanding of the difference between right and wrong
- The skills necessary to make judgement independently and appropriately
It is our intent that our pupils value themselves, their families and the environment, they value virtues such as truth, honest and trust and they develop a sense of belonging to their school and their locality. We want to encourage our pupils to value and celebrate diversity and understand the importance of equality for all and democracy.
Sherburn Primary School also actively promotes British Values. Please click on the links below to read more about how we teach British Values and to read out SMSC Policy.